These Lebanese meat stuffed fatayer (meat pies) are made more delicious with Gabe's and Mama's Spices added!
- 2 Tbs Gabe's Original Dressing & Marinade Spices
- 2 Tbs Mama's Mediterranean Spices
- Biscuits or dough to make 36 meat pies
- 1 pound ground lamb or extra lean ground beef (or a combination of both
- 2 medium white or sweet onions diced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbs allspice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup or stewed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly mix filling ingredients (you can precook the meat, spices and onion. Rewarm on low and let cool again before stuffing dough).
- After dough has risen, flatten the balls into 3-4" rounds.
- Place a tablespoon of filling on the rounds and spread to within 1/2" of the edges.
- Pinch the edges to form a triangle. (I do not leave any openings for venting, but if the mixture is raw, you will need to leave a small opening in the triangle for venting/expanding).
- Place closely together on well greased or parchment lined pans.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- May be served with lemon wedges.
- Fatayer may be frozen cooked or uncooked.
- Keep eating boldly and deliciously with more than 50 Years of Gabe's Gourmet Goodness in every bite!
I use Rhode's frozen biscuits. They come 36 to a bag. You will need to let them rise for about 3 hours.
You want to fatayer to be symmetrical, so practice the triangle shaping. Try pinching the top spine first by pinching straight down the middle 2/3 and fold the end up to form the lower cross spine.
You can freeze these cooked or uncooked. Package them carefully for freezing and thaw before reheating.
Sahtein! (enjoy your meal)
Other recipes you might like