Another Mediterranean favorite is stuffed cabbage rolls. We've added Gabe's Original and Mama's Mediterranean Spices as secret ingredients taking this classic to a bolder and more delicious taste experience!
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 pound ground lamb and/or extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (add more to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp allspice (add more to your taste)
- 1/2 cup ketchup*
- 2 Tbs of Mama's Mediterranean Spices* (add more to your taste)
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 sprigs fresh mint or 2 Tbs dry mint
- 1/2 cup lemon juice + one fresh lemon sliced in 4 wedges
- 1 package Gabe's Original Dressing & Marinade Spices (mixed with 4 cups of water)*
- *Susan's Secret Ingredients (you won't find these in any Lebanese cookbook!). They make these cabbage rolls THE BEST YOU'LL EVER TASTE!
- Core and parboil cabbage until limp, easy to separate and easy to roll. Place in colander and separate leaves. Slice each leaf in half on the ribs. If ribs are large or coarse, slice part of the rib off. Leaves should be roughly 4" long and 6" wide.
- Mix rice, meat, lemon juice, ketchup and spices very well with hands. The meat mix should be sticky not goopy or sloppy.
- Place a tablespoonful on each leaf. Spread lengthwise along the rib and roll like a jelly roll, folding sides in as you roll. Roll tight, but don't tear the cabbage leaf. Gently squeeze each roll when placing in the pan.
- Place the discarded cabbage spines in the bottom of a pan. Place the rolled cabbage rolls in a circular motion around the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle a layer of chopped garlic between the layers and place more cabbage spines between each layer until all leaves are rolled.
- Pour the water mixture with the Gabe's Original Dressing & Marinade Spices over the rolls in the pan. Place a ceramic dinner plate upside down on the top of the rolls and press down to keep rolls firm and intact. Add more water to about 1/2" from the plate.
- Cover pot cook on medium 15-20 minutes. Squeeze the four lemon wedges into the pot and simmer for another 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- To plate the cabbage rolls remove individually (carefully) with rubber tipped tongs so you do not tear the rolls. If you are bold, you can place a platter that is larger than the top of the pot over the top of the pot, invert and lift. Be aware that this may scatter your rolls if the platter is too small. This is typically a two person job.
- Garnish with mint sprigs, lemon wedges or green onion stalks.
- Keep eating boldly and deliciously with more than 50 Years of Gabe's Gourmet Goodness in EVERY bite!
- Drizzle. Dip. Sprinkle. Pour. Enjoy!
- Sahtein! (translation: Enjoy your meal with double health and prosperity)
You can double or triple this recipe. You will need at least 2-3 heads of cabbage for that.
Cabbage rolls and meat mixture can be frozen. You can freeze leftover meat mix raw packaged well for up to a month. You can freeze the cabbage rolls uncooked or cooked packaged well for up to two months.
Delicious reheated in microwave.
Other recipes you might like